In partnership with Samsung.
With this year’s bushfires and Coronavirus outbreak, Australians are becoming increasingly concerned about the air quality in their homes. Surprisingly, concentrations of indoor pollutants are often 2-5 times higher than outdoor concentrations1.
Keeping indoor air clean and easy to breathe is extremely important, especially as Australians spend up to 90% of their time indoors2. This is where air purifiers come in.
Understanding Indoor Air Quality
If you have allergies or asthma you will know how even the smallest airborne particles can cause big problems. The key concerns for many Australians includes dust, bad smells, bushfire smoke and mould.
It’s hard to gauge the air quality inside your home as indoor pollutants are often not easily visible to the naked eye. Samsung’s New Air Purifiers3 can capture particles that are 70 times smaller than the diameter of a strand of hair4.
Indoor pollutants include everything from dust and mould spores to pollen, pet dander, bacteria, dust mites, exhaustion fumes and smoke. Even the less talked about particle matter, nitrogen dioxide and carbon monoxide are key triggers inside the home.
Many outdoor pollutants find their way indoors. Using an air purifier is an easy way to combat this and make indoor air as healthy as possible.
Samsung’s Air Purifying Technology
If you have concerns about indoor air quality, an air purifier is exactly what you need. A high-quality air purifier can clean air in all indoor spaces quickly and effectively. A multi-layered system works best as it is designed to capture the different types of air pollution and particles.
The new range of air purifiers from Samsung all include a 3-layer filtration system that includes:
- Washable Pre-Filter – this is the filter that captures larger dust particles such as pollen and pet dander. This filter is easy to wash when necessary.
- Activated Carbon Deodorisation Filter – this is the part of the purifier that captures harmful and unpleasant gases and odours. Key examples include carbon monoxide, cooking odours and household cleanersii.
- True HEPA Filter – a true High-Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) filter is often recommended for people with allergies and respiratory conditions. This is because they can capture up to 99.97%5 of ultra-fine dust such as smoke, mould and exhaust fumes. This filter plays an important role in inhibiting the spread of captured bacteria too. A true HEPA filter is becoming increasingly crucial in air purifiers, particularly with the increase of smoke from bushfires.
Samsung’s New Air Purifier Range
Samsung’s new range of modern, innovatively designed air purifiers can help to ensure the air we are breathing at home and work is clean and healthy.
There are a few different models available. The best one for you will depend on the size of your room and the features you would like to utilise (e.g. Wi-Fi connectivity, which is available on the AX7500 and AX55006).
Common features found on each of the purifiers include:
- 4-colour light indicator that shows the current air quality
- 3-layer filtration system
- Dust & gas sensor
- Auto mode
- Sleep mode
- Filter change alarm
Here is a summary of the models available in the new range:
The AX7500 offers excellent room coverage making it ideal for large and open plan rooms of up to 90m2. It can reach from corner to corner thanks to the Front Air Inflow that draws in air and the dual power fan that discharges the clean, purified air. The air is discharged in 3 ways7 to get maximum coverage and airflow, even if it is positioned against a wall.
This model also has a display that shows the numeric air quality, a Laser PM 1.0 sensor which monitors air quality in real-time and a 4 colour indicator so you can easily see the air quality level. The AX7500 offers Wi-Fi connectivity meaning you can remotely monitor your home’s air quality.
The AX5500 is ideal for medium to large sized rooms of up to 60m2. It utilises the same features as the AX7500 but comes in a smaller package. This air purifier boasts a clean air delivery rate (CADR) of 455 cubic meters per hour which means the clean air can reach a wider area more quickly.
The AX5500 has Wi-Fi connectivity, an air quality display, a Laser PM 1.0 Sensor and a real-time air quality monitor. This purifier also has hidden wheels to make it easy to move it to the parts of the house that need it most.
If you have a smaller space of up to 40m2 the AX40T3030 is a better suited option. This compact, powerful model is designed to intuitively check and monitor your air quality using dust and gas sensors.
The design is stylish with a rounded edge and soft light making sure this air purifier can effortlessly blend into your relaxing home atmosphere. The sleep mode function offers a quiet 20 decibel8 operation so you can rest and relax while it continues to work.
The other entry level model in this range is the AX34T3020, which is ideal for smaller rooms of up to 34m2. This compact unit offers convenient auto and sleep modes, precise monitoring of gas and dust and the convenient 4-colour indicator.
The AX34T3020 is user-friendly and simple to maintain with a blinking indicator light that lets you know when the filter needs to be changed. There is also a child lock to discourage unintentional use.
- EPA IAQ Standards and Guidelines
- EPA IAQ Standards and Guidelines
- Samsung defines ‘New Air’ once air passed through a HEPA standard filter.
- EPA (US Environmental Protection Agency) and Danish Cancer Society Research Center
- The filter media has over 99.97% dust collection efficiency, based on a particle size of 0.26㎛, as specified by 42 CFR part 84. Tested in the National Test Institute of Korea. Tested on AX40M3040WMD for xylene, benzene, ethylbenzene, styrene & formaldehyde gases in KCL (Korea Conformity Laboratories). Tested on the AX40J5009UW/SC for TVOC gases in the National Test Institute of China. Antibacterial function tested on the filter media of the dust collecting filter in the National Test Institute of Korea.
- Models include AX5500 and AX7500. SmartThings requires sign up and pairing with a compatible device.
- Available in models: AX5500 and AX7500
- Metric for model AX34T3020