Gerni and Karcher are two of the most popular brands of pressure washers in Australia. They are targeted at households who want them for the occasional common domestic task who don’t want to invest in a more powerful and expensive commercial unit.
To help you make an informed decision, we’ve compared four of the most popular models from Gerni and Karcher side by side, as well as discussing some of the pros and cons of each brand.
|Model||Gerni Classic 130.3||K2 Full Control Home||Gerni Super 145.3||K5 Premium Full Control Home|
|Voltage||230 – 240||230 – 240||240||n/a|
|Max Flow Rate (L/min)||8.7||6.0||8.3||8.0|
|Features||Metal pump||Hard surface cleaner||Trolley & hose reel||Pressure indicator on trigger gun|
Entry Level pressure Washers
|Model||Gerni Classic 130.3||K2 Full Control Home|
|Voltage||230 – 240||230 – 240|
|Max Flow Rate (L/min)||8.7||6.0|
|Features||Metal pump||Hard surface cleaner|
Mid-High End pressure Washers
|Model||Gerni Super 145.3||K5 Premium Full Control Home|
|Max Flow Rate (L/min)||8.3||8.0|
|Features||Trolley & hose reel||Pressure indicator on trigger gun|
Gerni vs Karcher – An Overview
So what should you expect when you buy a pressure washer from one of these brands? Well, first off, they are two of the most popular brands for a reason. In terms of entry-level pressure washers, Karcher and Gerni produce some of the best machines on the market, and they retail at a competitive price point.
What you get from your washer, however, will depend on exactly which model you select, and what you intend to use it for. With that in mind, here are some general notes about the brands:
Gerni Pressure Washers
- Great value and perfect for home use
- Reliable and consistent water pressure
- A wide range of accessories available designed to assist with various home & garden tasks
- Owned by Nilfisk, one of the world’s leading manufacturers of professional cleaning equipment
- 2 Year Warranty
Karcher Pressure Washers
- Entry-level models are very affordable, including several in the $100 – $250 price range
- Lightweight thanks to plastic components
- Often come with handy accessories such as patio cleaners and detergent dispenser
- 3 – 5 year warranty plus 2 year extension if registered online
- Plastic components can mean the units are less durable than competitors
- Replacement parts can be expensive
A Note Regarding Entry Level Pressure Washers
Entry-level Gerni and Karcher products are great for the odd high pressure cleaning jobs around the house such as cleaning the deck or balcony, pavers or washing the car. However, they often don’t have the power or a wide enough spray for larger jobs.
They also often have a plastic pump that cannot be used for extended periods of time, and you need to be careful not to leave pump running while inactive.
Therefore, if you’re looking to water blast a large fence or driveway, consider investing in a bigger unit, or hiring one for the duration of your project.
The general advice with pressure cleaners is to choose a quality brand and buy the top model you can afford, as higher spec components will mean less hassle with repairs and replacements down the line.
Other Things to Keep in Mind When Choosing Your Pressure Cleaner:
- The length of the power cable
- The length and integrity of the hose
- Integrated detergent bottle and foam spray (especially for car cleaning)
- Other accessories available to suit your desired use
- Weight of the unit, especially if arm and wrist strength is a concern
- Whether it can draw water from a bucket or only from a tap
- Electric vs petrol power
- The level of noise while operating (electric units are quieter than petrol, but can still be loud)
Karcher Vs Gerni FAQs
Unfortunately Gerni and Karcher pressure cleaners have different connections so they are not compatible with each other. There are, however, 3rd party suppliers who manufacture accessories that fit on both brands of machine.